Saturday, March 22, 2014

Sowing the seeds of a busy year

Such a mild winter and warm start to the year has meant that many people have started sowing earlier than usual. Beware the cold nights though – temperatures dropped to 3 or 4 Celsius around here last night. Tender plants need to be covered with fleece if outside or kept under glass.
I for one have been transporting a tray of tomato and chilli seedlings out to the greenhouse every morning and back in the house come the evening. Best not to take the risk of losing them.

In other news, the seed sowing is taking on epic proportions. Aside from a backlog of RHS seeds I've been meaning to get sown for a couple of years (let's hope they're still viable), I've also been hedging my bets by sowing lots of salad and veg seeds in case a certain project came through. And then it did.


So, come June this year, I will be planting out an 'Edible Patch' at none other than the Gardener's World Live Show at the NEC in Birmingham! The teaser bit is here on their website. Most of the other beds seem to be from allotment associations, so that sounds like they have a group of people growing the plants that will form the display. There's just lil' old me to produce mine. Hubby is lovely and supportive (and will definitely be roped in for all the heavy lifting come June) but his strengths just don't lie in seedling tending...

8 comments:

  1. The gardening time is began. I'm glafd to hear that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to take so long to come around each year - but it's always worth the wait!

      Delete
  2. Wow, how exciting, I shall really enjoy following your progress. I do hope it all goes really well for you. Down here in the southwest I've got tomatoes, broad beans, sweet peas, spinach and mustards in the greenhouse, but like you say, any danger of frost and I'll be bringing them in again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm wearing a path on my fairly waterlogged lawn traipsing in and out with the edibles. But it just has to be done.

      Delete
  3. Look forward to seeing your patch virtually! I'm afraid we gave up on GWL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall keep you updated on here then Sue. I confess, I've never actually been to Gardeners's World Live, so this is indeed in at the deep end!

      Delete
  4. Oh how exciting and look forward to reading all about the experience in due course. May even get there. Have only just sown my tomatoes this year to avoid all that to and froing from house to greenhouse. OK when the seedlings are small but once they grow it can become a marathon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just constantly sowing seeds at the moment Anna, mostly for GWL though, so hopefully I won't get too behind with sowing seeds for the home veg plot.

      Delete